Today (yay,
I am finally up to date!), was a very particular day. For as far as SBCS is
concerned, I didn't have much to do, but I did loads of other things instead!
This morning Isabela and I went to the Freshers Fair on campus and we literally spent two hours looking around societies, sport clubs and volunteering groups. In the end, I joined 5 societies (Anime, Photography, Amnesty International, Women Equality and Biological Sciences), the Science Magazine and a Volunteering group (ASPIRE - volunteers go into primary schools and get children involved in Paralympics' sports). I also got a leaflet form the "Go Active" team, which involves lots of different sports and it also includes "Halls Sessions" Dodgeball, meaning you can create a team for dodgeball made of people for you hall and then compete every Saturday. At first it was just the two of us in the team, now we seem to have convinced Zemfira to join us and I also posted in the Hall's facebook group to look for team mates! We still need two people though...! Anyway, there were so many interesting societies/clubs/activities and it was hard to choose... right now I think I might have joined too meany, but I guess it's normal and I'll still try to participate in as many as I can to meet people and have fun, but I don't want to screw up my studies of course!
Just before I had to go to the Biology Briefing, I met a girl who is doing Biology as well (I can't spell her name...), so we walked together to the Fogg Building where this "lecture" was going to be. There we joined Andrea and another girl doing Zoology that I hadn't met yet (Coral). We talked a bit, but none of them was as talkative as I expected after meeting Isabela's course mates! We sat at the back of the room during the lecture, which was actually really entertaining and full of interesting stuff, because they explained to us what are modules are, what our future modules will be (in 2nd and 3rd year) and how coursework, fieldtrips and "practicals" work. The speaker, who is the man in charge of our portion of department, was really enjoyable and entertaining in his talking and that made a good impression on him. I do hope my lecturers, or at least most of them, are similar to him in their demeanour!
This morning Isabela and I went to the Freshers Fair on campus and we literally spent two hours looking around societies, sport clubs and volunteering groups. In the end, I joined 5 societies (Anime, Photography, Amnesty International, Women Equality and Biological Sciences), the Science Magazine and a Volunteering group (ASPIRE - volunteers go into primary schools and get children involved in Paralympics' sports). I also got a leaflet form the "Go Active" team, which involves lots of different sports and it also includes "Halls Sessions" Dodgeball, meaning you can create a team for dodgeball made of people for you hall and then compete every Saturday. At first it was just the two of us in the team, now we seem to have convinced Zemfira to join us and I also posted in the Hall's facebook group to look for team mates! We still need two people though...! Anyway, there were so many interesting societies/clubs/activities and it was hard to choose... right now I think I might have joined too meany, but I guess it's normal and I'll still try to participate in as many as I can to meet people and have fun, but I don't want to screw up my studies of course!
Just before I had to go to the Biology Briefing, I met a girl who is doing Biology as well (I can't spell her name...), so we walked together to the Fogg Building where this "lecture" was going to be. There we joined Andrea and another girl doing Zoology that I hadn't met yet (Coral). We talked a bit, but none of them was as talkative as I expected after meeting Isabela's course mates! We sat at the back of the room during the lecture, which was actually really entertaining and full of interesting stuff, because they explained to us what are modules are, what our future modules will be (in 2nd and 3rd year) and how coursework, fieldtrips and "practicals" work. The speaker, who is the man in charge of our portion of department, was really enjoyable and entertaining in his talking and that made a good impression on him. I do hope my lecturers, or at least most of them, are similar to him in their demeanour!
![]() |
| The Biology Building - G.E. Fogg Building |
This time,
only the-girl-with-the-name-I-can't-spelt left, to ask something of the
lecturer though, while Coral, Andrea and I stuck together and went straight to
the Curve, the campus self-service restaurant. We had lunch together, with
conversation struggling a bit because we were all a bit held back, but it was
still nice to finally get to know someone. After eating, we sat outside The
Curve (gosh, it was freezing!) and we finally lossened up a bit and started
chatting properly about our interests. We are all into fantasy books, neither
of them has watched "Once Upon a Time" but they said they might give
it a try and... they adore Disney!! We started going on about how much we love
Disney movies and Andrea loves "Frozen" just like me and... OMG I was
so happy! I am not crazy and I am not the only person at this uni loving Disney
(in the evening I found even more) :P Eventually, I took them to the Fair
because they hadn't gone yet and went to the Sports Hall first: we signed up
for a Zoo discount and we got this huge and cool grape lollypop that says
"Extinction sucks" :D We were so thrilled about the lollypop ahahahah
After dodging heaps of people who wanted us to join their clubs, we got out and
went to the posters and arts sale near the library. There we ran into Isabela
and a friend of hers, with another name I cannot spell, and we stayed all
together, even though her friend left after a bit. I wanted to buy posters for
my room (and so did Coral, even if she is living at home), but Isabela and I
also decided we'd buy poster to decorate the kitchen, since nobody other than
us is using it eheh It was so much fun! The thing is, there were heaps of
"Frozen" posters and we managed to hold back form most of them, but
then we saw this huuuuuge poster of Elsa with all the lyrics from "Let it
go" beside her and we HAD to get it to stick it near the freezer :P For
the kitchen, we also bought a little poster with two baby elephants, one with
butterflies and one with a view of London (around the London Eye). For my room,
I got a poster with butterflies, one reading "Dream", one with some
characteristic things from London... but my favourite is one that reads
"Why is the sky the limit, when there are footprints on the moon". I
find this sentence so beautiful and poetic... now it's hanging above my bed and
I truly love it!
(In the pictures: some of the posters in my room)
Eventually, Andrea and Coral went to enrol (as they hadn't done so, yet), whereas Isabela and I got back to our flat and went to hang the posters in the kitchen. Seriously, we couldn't stop laughing after having the Frozen poster, because we were thinking of the reaction that the others might have when they see it! Ahahah it was o funny :P I truly had my tummy muscles hurting for how much I laughed! Then I hung the posters in my room and I am really happy with how it looks now, much much cosier than in the beginning and very mine.
(In the pictures: some of the posters in our kitchen)
Afterwards,
I decided I'd do the washing and, with some advice from mum on the phone and a
girl I met at the washing machines room, I washed my dark clothes (I didn't
have enough light ones to be worth the price of the washing). It took about
half an hour and then 50 minutes for them to dry in the drier. In the meantime,
I used the vacuum cleaner in my room and then I went over to Maria Stella's
place for another chat. I then collected my clean and dry clothes, talked to my
family on viber and went back to Maria Stella's. This time, also her parents
were there and we chatted for like three quarters of an hour about random
things, getting advice from them and just talking about uni stuff. I left in a
rush because it was about 7.45pm and at 8pm I was meant to be in front of
Mucci's, the on-campus Italian restaurant, to meet Zemfira and I still had to
get changed. But I was on time! So Isabela (whom I had invited to join us) and
I went to Mucci's and we met Zemfira. I was so happy to see her in person! She
is such a nice girl :) With her, there was also a Polish girl that we all knew
and she came with us to dinner! We tried all the restaurants on campus but they
were all closed, so we had to go to the "Half Moon", the pub just 3
minutes away from Queen Mary. It was a lovely dinner, with lots of talking and laughing
:) Having meals together or just sitting down somewhere to talk is such a good
way of meeting and GETTING TO KNOW new people!!
Ok, that's it, I made it!! Now I am (finally) off to bed, because tomorrow I have a seriously CRAZY day!
Ok, that's it, I made it!! Now I am (finally) off to bed, because tomorrow I have a seriously CRAZY day!






Sounds like your really busy Marty! I am so happy that you are making so many friends and enjoying yourself. I see that you took our formal photos with you :) Your room looks amazing already! How did you manage to find so many Italian students on your campus, I didn't think there would be so many?! Fiona x
ReplyDeleteOMG Fi, I have soooo much stuff going on! Not necessarily all social events, but including uni things and organising my flat :) Of course I took the photos :) I didn't think there would be so many either!! But I am not spending much time with them ;)
Delete