Friday, 12 September 2014

Arrival in London & enrollment at QM

I reached London yesterday around lunchtime and, in the afternoon, we went to a shopping centre. I bought myself a UK sim card, which means now my phone is perfectly working (I got a 3 contract with unlimited data, messages and calls). Actually, this plan is only for 30 days, because I am going to change to another one next month, once I have my UK debit card to connect to my phone (they wouldn't let me get the plan I wanted without and English debit card).
Afterwards, we just wandered around until dinner time and then we were sooo exhausted we all collapsed in bed early!

Walking near Covent Garden

This morning I had my enrollment at Queen Mary: I had to line up for almost 30 minutes, during which I met Costanza, an Italian girl I have been chatting with on facebook and we organised to meet later. The enrolment was very quick, then I received my ID card (with a surprisingly decent photo - or, at least, better than any other I have had on documents so far), I got my username and password for IT services and I obtained a letter to show the bank, so that they know I am actually living here. Once we had done that, we toured the campus a bit, to show my dad and sister who hadn't come in March!

The Octagon, in the Queens' Building,
where the enrolment centre was
Outside France House, my Hall

Then we went to a Barclays bank and I booked an appoinment for Monday lunchtime to open an account!
I was meant to go for lunch with Costanza, but she was in a hurry so we decided we'd meet for afternoon tea instead. While my dad and my sister went to the Harry Potter studios (which, by the way, they loved because they seem to be pretty amazing), mum and I walked around the centre, we looked around for places where I could find a part time job i case I decided to do so and stopped at a bookshop to get me a couple of books I wanted.
Finally, we met Costanza and her mother at a cafè. It was really lovely!  Costanza and I started talking and we found out we have lots in common, like we both write (mainly fantasy), we like reading (mainly fantasy, again), we like tv shows, we are interested in zumba (by the way, Queen Mary has FOUR zumba classes a week!!!!), we are both worried and excited... I was really happy with the meeting :)

No comments:

Post a Comment