Thursday, 27 November 2014

Trying to catch up - part 10: from a surprise party to an Evolution test and a night out, and all in between



Ciao :)

This post is an immediate continuation of the previous one, but I am going back to the “Outstanding events” format.

Outstanding events - #8 (9th to 14th November):

Sunday 9th: when I got back from the weekend with my family, I started preparing things for Maria Stella’s surprise birthday party with Isabela. Maria Stella was in Italy to celebrate her 18th birthday and she was coming back in the evening, so we had some hours left. The original plan was to have the party in Maria Stella’s flat, but one of her flat mates called us around 7pm to tell us we couldn’t have the party there because they had to study. Imagine my reaction: I was so pissed off! Though, we didn’t have time to complain too much as we had to reorganise our plans, tell the third organiser (a friend of Maria Stella’s, Anna Maria) to come at our place and tidy up our kitchen. I don’t know how, but we managed to have everything ready just in time, included a birthday card signed by all the guests, a beautiful cake, birthday decorations all around the kitchen and the table set up with snacks!
Eventually, Maria Stella arrived and Isabela and I literally had to drag her to the kitchen with an excuse, because she was tired and wanted to go home... but it worked *_* It was a really nice evening, with music, lots of chatting and taking photos. We also had a session of karaoke with me, Isabela, Maria Stella and Anna Maria singing: “This is me” (Camp Rock), “My heart will go on” (Celine Dion), “Waka Waka” (Shakira) and “All of me” (John Legend) and it was so funny hahaha I am glad it’s all recorded on my phone!
 
 

Around 12.30am, all the guests left and Isabela and I finished tidying up the kitchen (Anna Maria and the others had helped), then we stayed in the kitchen chatting until something like 1.30am... I don’t know why, but late night conversation often end up being deep ones! Anyway, when I got back to my room I didn’t exactly go to bed, because of something else that happened that kept me up until about 3am (and by up I mean downstairs from France House), but again I am not going into details because it’s not my right to do so!

Monday 10th: I was a zombie throughout the whole morning, because I hadn’t slept much (I had lesson at 9am) and because I was upset and overwhelmed by what had happened during the night. In the break between the lectures I came home and tried to rest for a little bit, unsuccessfully, and then went to the library to finish my Lab preparation for the afternoon... I didn’t manage, so I actually went to Lab without pretty much any idea of what was going to happen!

However, Lab was fine: we did an experiment involving saliva and PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction). Specifically, we had to prepare the solutions and the make the calculations in order for the samples of our saliva to be used for an agarose-gel test, which was done by the demonstrator because it’s a delicate process. This test is useful to see the length of the molecules of DNA analysed and we got the results the next week (I think I made some mistake, because nothing showed in my result column).

In the evening, I watched “Once Upon a Time” (episode 4x07) with Maria Stella and it was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G *_* Later on, Isabela and I corrected another Law essay from Maria Stella, then we watched an episode of “Madoka” and had a sleepover in my room, since Isabela’s heating isn’t working and it was very cold!

Tuesday 11th: Most of the day was spend editing the interview to Dr Wurm and then blogging a bit, until the evening when I wrote my part of an essay for Tutorial (the one about the debate on Insurance Companies). Once i had done that, I watched five more “Madoka” episodes with Isabela and then went to bed.

Wednesday 12th: most of the day I studied for the Evolution test I would have on the next day and then I had a long chat with Tommaso over dinner :) I finished preparing for the test around 9.30 and then Maria Stella, Isabela and I got dressed for... *drum rolls* the Disney party held by Queen Mary *_* I put on my Tinkerbell costume, while Maria Stella was a human Ariel and Isabela a modern-day Cinderella. We went to the Drapers, but we only stayed about 1 hour and a half, because I had to come back home and sleep to be awake for the test (in the afternoon, but still...!). the party was quite lame honestly and the only very good part was when they played “Let it go” and everyone started singing it together!

 
Selfie with a friendly security guard

Thursday 13th: I met up with my tutorial group to finish the essay, but we didn’t get too far because half of us were too worried about the Evolution test to think about that (me included!). Therefore, we postponed the essay to after the workshop (3-6pm) and Andrea and I went to the Common Room in France House to revise. Elena joined us for lunch and it was the funniest (and one of the most embarrassing) experiences ever! They took me to Subway, where I had never been, and I didn’t know what to do or what to get so it took me ages to decide... thankfully there wasn’t anyone else, but the employees were laughing at me! When I eventually made up my mind, I couldn’t understand a word of what the two employees were telling me, as they had very strong accents, so I had to rely on Andrea :P She was really trying hard not to burst out laughing in the shop, but as soon as we got out, neither of us could hold it back anymore and we couldn’t stop laughing LOL

At 3pm, the time of the Evolution workshop arrived and for the first two hours we only completed some exercises, that were mostly funny: we worked with beans to look at genetic drift and then we used a software called PopJ to see how it really works in big populations (we only had 40 beans per couple before). However, the fun part eventually finished and it was time for the rather-dreaded test... it was a true/false test, but it was negatively marked so I was incredibly nervous. Afterwards I realised it hadn’t been too bad and I had only left one question blank out of 40 (I think), so I was quite happy!

By then I was dead and I only wanted to go home, but NO: we still had to deal with the essay... So Andrea, Moh and I met up (Hisham, the fourth member of our essay group, was at home because he had already had the Evolution workshop days before) and finished the group project. It took us until 8pm and we were so tired by then that when I got home I felt like a ghost ;) 

The evening was a bit of an up-and-down one. We had Costanza for dinner (remember the Italian girl I met as soon as I got to London, even before starting uni?) as a guest of Tommaso’s and afterwards Isabela and I watched the last two episodes of “Madoka”. Until almost the end everything was fine... but there was a scene in the last episode of “Madoka” where Madoka hugged her mum and I started missing my family, as I already mentioned in the last post :( So that night I struggled a lot to fall asleep...

Friday 14th: I missed the morning lecture because my phone messed up with the time and I woke up an hour too late... I meant to go in during the break in the middle of the two hours, but Andrea and Elena told me not to bother, because it was a “useless” lesson. To explain this let me just say we had that lecturer from a couple of weeks earlier who is really nice but only reads out form the slides... so it was pointless for me to rush to lecture! Instead, I took my time to complete some work I had to do on one of the many Queen Mary Online resources, eGAP (electronic Graduate Atrribute Program), which I had pretty much ignored until then.

After the lecture finished, I met with the tutorial group and we went to hand in our essays (two in total, as there was the one our small group had written and one form the other group) and then I had lunch at the pub with Andrea, before doing our usually Friday assignments. I like this routine we have on Fridays because it frees up a lot of time that I would have to spend on assignments over the weekend otherwise!

Later in the afternoon I tried to get some rest, being dead from the half-sleepless night, I did the washing and went grocery shopping to Budgens and tried to rest again!

The evening was messy at first and then a lot of fun! Isabela, Maria Stella and I had organised some time before that we would go out that specific Friday night to celebrate Maria Stella’s birthday with a proper night out in London. However, I wasn’t feeling well at all and Isabela was tired, so neither of us was in the right mood... it took us ages, but we eventually convinced Maria Stella it wasn’t worth going out with us like that. Though, after a couple of hours at Maria Stella’s place (around 11.30pm) I suddenly started to feel better and we decided we could go out to celebrate. We had planned to go to a club in Picadilly Circus that we didn’t know... but on the tube we met Josh (my ghost-like flat mate), who invited us to join him and his friends at the LSE (London School of Economics) club. We decided to trust him and we went there. You have no idea how funny it was, travelling with him and his friends. He was completely drunk, so he was talking randomly and I couldn’t stop laughing! But he was also very nice and he protected us from other drunk people in the queue at the club. Because he knows everyone, he also made us skip the queue after a few minutes, because he convinced the security guard to let us in quickly :D So, even though I originally didn’t want to go out, I ended up having lots of fun! The disco was nice and I surprised myself in actually enjoying a real disco for the first time! We stayed at the cub until 2.30am, the we left because both Isabela and I had to wake up at a decent time in the morning for different reasons (mine will come up in the next post) :D

Saucy is the name of the LSE club
In the middle of the dance floor... with random people!






No comments:

Post a Comment